Monday, February 15, 2010

FILF



So, I do really love Bill Bailey and probably would F him, given the chance (at least, I would after he did this), but what I especially love is feminists. I love old feminists, young feminists, men feminists and women feminists, HOT feminists and feminists whose other views I don't really agree with.

But what I like most of all is feminists from Islamic countries, mostly because they are so hot, but also because they are brave, cutting and complex. And because I am so lucky to be able to do my dissertation on something so interesting, and so full of eye candy.

Below is a picture of Queen Soraya Tarzi of Afghanistan who reigned for a very short time from 1926 - 1929 at which time she and her husband were overthrown and forced into exile due to their feminist (and otherwise liberal) beliefs. Most notably, encouraging the education of girls and tearing off her veil in public. After being exiled, she lived out her days in Rome.


Interesting fact for your day:

1964: Women in Afghanistan are granted the right to vote.
1970: Women in Switzerland are.

xox

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I recommend the wonderful paper "A Cyborg Manifesto" by Donna Haraway, probably the best title of an essay ever and a brilliant piece on postmodern feminism

Lila said...

Thanks Stephen - I've actually already read that (for a Digital Culture course) and it is awesome. My favourite feminist text, if you can call it that, is "The Female Thing" by Laura Kipnis. It's dark, funny and says some very cutting things about feminists she disagrees with. A very light, and enlightening, read.

Also, I need to DO something ASAP, other than study/ read so I can blog about it. Ah, modern pressures. I need a life so I can document it.