Monday, March 19, 2012

The Mean Reds



Against his better judgement, my usually most fiercely-logical flatmate has taken to astrology (specifically, the brilliant 'New Astrology' by Suzanne White), so I got the chance to re-read the description of my sign. And, even though I've read it about ten million times, I noticed something I'd never seen before - Truman Capote was also a Libra/ Rat. Holy. Happiness. Out of 144 combinations, I get to share mine with the author of two of my favourite novels ever (Breakfast at Tiffany's and In Cold Blood).

Anyway, in Breakfast at Tiffany's, Holly Golightly describes 'the mean reds':

"You know those days when you've got the mean reds.... the blues are because you're getting fat or maybe it's been raining too long. You're sad, that's all. But the mean reds are horrible. You're afraid and you sweat like hell, but you don't know what you're afraid of. Except something bad is going to happen, only you don't know what it is."


She then famously describes her ideal place to go when she's in such a state - Tiffany's, of course. I don't live in New York, I live in - what I think of as - fairly rural New Zealand, so instead I think of my mountains. Those big ones along the spine of this beautiful island.

Or very small, from a nice distance:


(If you're offended on behalf of that imposing mountain being demeaned in such a crass way, don't worry, I walked alone for two days until I reached those ranges and then did an alpine crossing with a clowder of idiot friends from Australia during a blizzard-esque storm. I got owned, in other words).

MOSS !

p.s. These pictures are from my solo stroll along the Greenstone track, which I walked to get to the 'Divide', where I began the Routeburn with a posse of pals - and of which there are no photographs on my camera, since I was too busy laughing my ass off. xoxo until next time.


1 comment:

gianna said...

Hmmphf, is that a gossip girl thing at the end? Man pop culture references I may only slightly recognize.

Beautiful pictures and Audrey X