Tuesday, July 15, 2008

One Night in Bangkok...


And I felt like I'd made totally the wrong decision with my life. I arrived, as expected at around 11pm, and got lost on the way to baggage claim with a lovely Australian architect (we were too busy complaining about the bad aesthetic of the airport design and missed the baggage turn-off - ironic really). That was all okay.

THEN my taxi driver couldn't find the hotel I had booked, so we spent literally one hour driving around side alleys of China town (which was scary looking and deserted) in meaningless circles. I was losing the plot and seeing things I was so tired (I had, by this point, been awake for over 23 hours and my last sleep was only 3 hours). Once at the guest house, I almost cried when I saw the room and had a minor anxiety attack. There were gaping holes in the wall leading into plumbing and gutter areas, and in my sleep-deprived mind (and reality probably) a sea of rats.

I left the room, cancelled my reservation and told the lady she could keep 100 baht, but took the rest. Called a cab and went to the traveller's ghetto like the lame falang I am. I booked into a much cheaper, and cleaner, guest house and went to sleep to the sounds of football yobbos vomiting in the streets and dumb half-naked girls trying to come onto them. I felt like I was back in Otago, KC's had re-opened and I lived next door.

Things changed in the morning though, when the light peered through and I remembered - hey! I love Bangkok! Here's why:







1 comment:

Jenna said...

Hey Lei every time I think of you i think of this song (as you know)
The music geek in me got some more info on it for you..

One Night in Bangkok by Murray Head

"One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster
The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free
You'll find a God in every golden cloister
And if you're lucky then the God's a she
I can feel an angel sliding up to me"

The character who narrates this song is the Chess champion from the play who is going to Bangkok, Thailand for a tournament.
Bangkok is well-known for being a city a haven for sex tourists, because it has so many prostitutes and brothels, etc. The guy in the song is essientially just saying "woah, I'm just here for the chess!"

NIce piccys! I miss you! x