Saturday, May 25, 2013

Kolkata (part one)

Cookie Factory fire

Workers out the back of a temple

These are photos from about two months ago, but since the internet connectivity in my village was minimal I haven't done a thing with them. Here they are now. I say 'part one' in the title, 'cos I'm returning to that glorious city shortly. I get that people don't like Kolkata and more power to them, but I am in love (and not like how I'm 'in love with everywhere', but a very specific and fierce love which will last my lifetime).

The only Buddhist temple in Kolkata, under renovation

College Street - a street dominated by bookshops

The oldest bookshop in Kolkata

In the same building - The Indian Coffee House Kolkata - presided over by Tagore

Upstairs table

What would you have? I had eggs with tomato and coffee, of course


Tram


You better have some strong opinions at the NANDAN Film Centre!

KFC's vegetarian options

My Vege Zinger burger - second only to the Willowbank vege burger
NB: In Kolkata, the KFC I frequented was staffed entirely by hearing impaired people, who used a specially designed menu board to point and ask me which option I wanted. And the vegetarian food was incredible (trash, but just right trash, you know?) KFC = pinko heaven? Who'd guess?!

Here is a cheesy video showing how it's done.

The Indian Museum

Indians crowding around the 'snakes' display and discussing which they have seen

Aw


The fashions of India, done by state on Barbie-size models

My dream house

Or this! (Karo cutting a figure in her red sari in front of the Marble Palace)

On the train

From the land of tigers back up to the land of Rhinos

No comments: